• Print Page Content
Contact UsMarsden NewsletterNews & Events 2017Marsden info-SITEMarsden International ...Marsden PreschoolMarsden PrimaryAcademicMarsden i-CentreScholarshipsCo-curricularStudent SpotHealth & Wellbeing...DevelopmentParents AssociationOld Girls 
Understanding the Past and the Future :         CHRONOLOGY - Marsden School

 1878
Funding of Fitzherbert Terrace School by Mrs Mary Anne Swainson
Three girls from Miss Swainson's School
 1893 New Zealand women granted the vote
 1897
Death of Mrs Swainson
 1897 
Miss Mary Swainson becomes Headmistress
 1906
Miss Swainson sells the school to Miss Baber
 1907
Miss Esther Mary Baber becomes Headmistress
  

1907 Navy-blue cotton dress is introduced as summer uniform (with a similar one in wool or serge for winter) Black shoes and stockings, a tie and a boater with a blue and green striped hatband.
 
School Photo - 1898
 1912
 Old Girls’ Association formed
 1919 
Women are given the right to sit in Parliament
  1920  Edward Joshua Riddiford Church of England Trust Board meets for the first time.

  1920
The School is acquired by the Wellington Diocese and becomes Samuel Marsden Collegiate School.
Green box-pleated serge tunic is introduced as school uniform, complete with cardigan, blazer, and brown shoes and stockings. A similar style of tunic of bottle green cotton was worn in summer.
 1923   Foundation stone of the new school is laid by His Excellency, Admiral of the Fleet, Viscount Jellicoe of Scapa, GCBM.,CM,GCVO.
 1926 School opens in Karori for both daygirls and boarders.  
 1927      House system is established
The Parents’ Association is formed

1. 1918 designed by Mrs Crompton Smith
2. Hatbadge of Fitzbherbert terrace School
3. School crest which varied slightly from 1920-1997
4. School crest 1998 - designed by Lindsay Missen
 1929 
Foundation stone of the Founders’ Hall is laid by Bishop Sprott
Innes House is purchased from Mrs G.S.Cooper
 1930  
The Founders’ Hill is opened
 1931 
Miss Baber retires and is appointed to the Board
 1932
Miss Gladys Mayhew becomes Headmistress
 1933 
The swimming pool (the frog pond) is built  
 1936
Fitzherbert Terrace School closes. The last group of Lower School pupils comes to the Karori site from Thorndon.
1946
Miss Audrie Smith succeeds Miss Mayhew  
 1950 The new Lower School is opened on the Karori site  
 1951
Miss Ruth Neligan is appointed Heamistress  
 1954  
The Art Dept moves into the Lodge (an old butcher’s shop at the bottom of the drive on Karori Road)
 1956 Miss Neligan resigns to marry John Fry  
 1957    
Miss Margaret Ogle is appointed Headmistress  
 1958 
The swimming pool (the puddle) is opened down by the Lower School  
 1966  
Marsden Development Plan initiated  
 1968  Founders’ Hall condemned as an earthquake risk
Clere House is built to accommodate the increase in boarders, and the Baber Memorial Chapel opens.
 
 1969     Southern Teaching wing and Mayhew Science Laboratories open
Uniform changes to small green and white houndstooth skirt for seniors and tunic of similar cloth for Forms 1-4, worn with pale blue shirts, a green jersey and green street jacket
 1971  Gymnasium opens
Headmistress’s house is built beside the Innes House tennis courts
Board of Governors re-structured as two boards – Trust Board and the Board of Management
 1973 Miss Ogles retires
Mrs Chandler becomes acting Principal
Pre School opens
Boys return to Marsden – Pre School  to Year 4

 
 1974    Reverend Gerald Clark becomes Principal
New hall, library, music complex is completed and opened by Governor General Sir Denis Blundell.
 
 1978   Centenary year  
 1980  Art  Department moves to Innes House  
 1985   Reverend Gerald Clark resigns as Principal  
 1985  Miss Jennifer Button becomes Headmistress  
 1986 
Uniform changes to green skirts and jackets for all Upper School students (white shirt with a fine green and brown stripe
and a tie for Form 7)
 1987    Lower School development (two classrooms. Activities room and library) is completed  
 1988   Decision to discontinue boarding is announced  
 1989    Senior School concept is established
Extensions to the gymnasium (health laboratory and showers) and southern teaching wing (activities room) are completed
 1994   Major building development designed by Athfield architects is opened by the Governor General Dame Cath Tizard.     
Marsden House is strengthened and remodelled for the Senior School and new library opened
Current forest green uniform is introduced at all levels of the school.
 1995 Boarding House closes  
 1997
Miss  Button retires  
 1997   
Mrs Maryann Ogden becomes acting principal  
 1998     
Mrs Gillian Eadie becomes Principal  
 1999   
New Lower School opens  
 2000 
New science laboratories opened  
 2001 
Swimming pool is demolished and new Astroturf laid (gifted by the Parents’ Association
 2002 NCEA introduced  
 2003     
Marsden offers Cambridge International AS and A levels
Auditorium refurbishment completed
125th Anniversary celebrations
 
 2005      Whitby Independent School purchased and becomes Marsden Whitby  
 2008
Mrs Eadie retires
Ms Jenny Williams becomes Principal
Stage 1 of new sports complex completed
 
 2009
New classroom block opened at Marsden Whitby  
 2010
New Gymnasium opened at Marsden Whitby 
First Service trip to Samoa
 
 2011  Christchurch Earthquake
 First Service trip to Fiji
 
 2012  Seismic strengthening begins in the intermediate  block
 Main School building(except Auditorium and  Library closed
 Old Girls' Association celebrates its Centenary
 
 2014  Room 11 demolished in January
 Reception and Administration move to the  Swainson Room in Marsden House
 Arrowsmith programme commences in the school
 
 2015  Work begins on the new building
 Kaikoura earthquake
 
 2016  Confucius Room Opens in Clere House
Te Manawa o Te Kura opens
 
 2017 Ms Jenny Williams resigns to take up a position at Firbank Grammar in Melbourne
Ms Margaret Adeane becomes Acting Principal